Tuesday, January 24, 2017

got mint.

When it comes to baking, or cooking for people, I’ve always lacked confidence on the outcome of my product. Sometimes I feel that I set very high expectations on myself that it deterred my joy in baking or cooking. And because of that, I rarely shared my bakes and makes, and made very small quantity for me and Abz to eat. After which I will forget about the recipe because I don’t have time or I feel no confidence in putting it out in the market. Okay I digressed.

So anyway. Recently I started being active in my kitchen. I made a self-note to work more in the kitchen so that my oven is utilised more. Hahah. Not that its of any famous brands lahhh. Had a few conversations with a couple friends who motivated me go on my baking journey. And so I did.

I had always wanted to try mint cupcakes. And that was my first project - #chocolatemintcupcakes.

I don’t have a recipe from scratch, duhhh. So I googled for a few and reviewed their methods and ingredients before selecting a couple recipes for my project. 

On the Christmas Day weekend, i busied myself in the kitchen. 
#shaffoodproject #project1 #chocolatemintcupcakes




the first attempt outcome -
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes with Chocolate Sauce, 
topped with Vanilla Mint Swiss Meringue Buttercream and Crushed Candycanes.

gave them to Abz and colleagues to try and review.
Among the reviews were the cupcake cake itself was too minty and the chocolate taste was almost non-existent, so I will have to reduce the quantity of teaspoon of mint next time.

I made a second tryout the following NYE weekend, this time trying out a chocolate ganache filling and a different chocolate cupcake recipe.

Unfortunately I threw the entire first batch away (that’s about 20 cupcakes!) because the chocolate ganache tasted so so.............. disgusting. I used chocolate chips and Greek yogurt – wrong wrong move. 

My so-called ganache tasted like spoilt yogurt – extremely sour! I didn’t like it at all, so how could I even serve it to anyone? Brokenhearted and almost crying, I threw the entire batch away and immediately made a new batch. This time I omitted the filling and decided on plain ol’ chocolate mint cupcake and buttercream. 


the second attempt outcome -
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes, 
topped with Vanilla Mint Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

Took a break from the baking because well, new year.

I hosted a playdate for Sara and friends over the weekend, and made these cupcakes again together with Nutella cheesecake.


the third attempt outcome -
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes with Nutella filling, 
topped with Vanilla Mint Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

This time, I made it with an unaltered Nutella filling, with less mint flavour for the cake and changed the color of frosting to suit the mint name. Threw in some Oreo crumbs as well as decorative. Also I didnt want an overpowering mint frosting, so the crumbs were to bring the mint taste a notch down.

So this is, the final attempt of the #chocolatemintcupcakes.

You like mint? You like cake?
You know who to find?
Lol.